BACKGROUND TO THE PROJECT
Trim F.R.C. is a locally based family support & community development project. It was established in response to a need to tackle disadvantage and poverty in Trim using a community development approach and to improve the functioning family unit. The focus of the work is to empower families and the community to identify their own needs and explore solutions to best address these, and to create successful partnerships between voluntary and statutory agencies at community level.
We are one of 106 Family Resource Centres in Ireland, funded under the Child & Family Support Agency. The project is managed by volunteer members of the local community who employ a Coordinator, Community Development Worker and an Administrator to implement a 3 year strategic community work plan. We cover a catchment area of Trim urban and a six mile radius from the town. In practice, because of the rural nature of the surrounding countryside, people outside this boundary are not excluded from our remit.
Our target groups include; families,young people, men, foreign nationals, older people, young women, people with disabilities, and the unemployed.
Our mission is to provide resources, facilitation & support to individuals, families and groups in an informal, welcoming environment
WHAT DO WE DO
- Facilitate Education & Training courses for families and the community in the centre
- Run Family Support Programmes and Events in the Centre
- Support the development of various groups in the community and provide facilities of the centre
- Provide a Support and Information service to the local community on various Rights, Entitlements & Housing. Referral support to appropriate agencies when necessary
- Run a low-cost Counselling Service
- Link with relevant agencies to tackle disadvantage locally and raise these issues nationally